Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Present

My Lpn, Maria, that I work with likes to laugh at the fact I blog. Not too sure why-might have to do with the fact that she just had twins 6 months ago and has no time! So I told her I was going to blog about the Christmas present I gave her and it made her laugh:)
Maria is a very hard worker and also someone very fun to work with. We both work nights together. I answer the phone calls and try to solve the problems over the phone. If they cannot be solved or if a loved one passes away, Maria is the one who drives out in the middle of the night to make a visit. It is not easy to drive at night when you are already tired nor is it easy to find peoples houses at 2 am. I admire her for taking this task on and I try very hard not to send her on a visit unless it is absolutely necessary. I had been thinking since Thanksgiving what I could give her for Christmas. I thought about gift certificates, diapers, formula, food, clothes, etc.
Right before Christmas I finally came up with the best present I could give her-sleep!! She has 6 children and is also a single mom and does not get much time to sleep. So today I decided that I would make all the visits and give her a break. Thank goodness the phone calls were slow and the visits were not too hard. I left at 9 am this morning and did not get home until 6 pm. I drove all over metro Phoenix and also to hospitals. I did not stop and take a break. About 1 pm, Maria called me and asked if there were any visits to do. I just told her Merry Christmas and that this was her gift. She was speechless! She said it was the best gift she was ever been given. I loved that and it made me feel awesome inside:)

3 comments:

mary December 28, 2008 at 4:31 AM  

I loved this post, Stephanie. Serving others really is the best of all gifts! I even felt good reading about it. :)

Mom of The Fields Fam Five December 28, 2008 at 4:23 PM  

Well, you just made my heart sing! Loved it...What a wonderful gift. I know that you are tired but I also know that the rewards will be many for your efforts. I will pray that you will get some rest! Thanks for sharing!

Jen December 29, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

That's awesome, Steph! What a wonderful gift. We talked with our primary class on Sunday about giving gifts of Service and truly this one is a classic example!