Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

This day always makes me catch my breath and count my blessings. I only had 3 children at the time. I was getting Brandon ready for first grade, Darin was 3 and Dylan was 1. I had no clue what was going on as I never had the tv on to new stations. It was always on Barney or whatever was on pbs. My good friend Natalie came to pick up Brandon for the carpool. She said Stephanie, do you know what is happening? I just looked at her very puzzeled and waited for her to answerer. She had to get the kids to school so she hurriedly said turn on your tv, it is horrible, planes are crashing into the twin towers in New York. I ran back into the house and turned the tv station. I was absolutely horrified. We are 3 hours behind New York time so the towers were just starting to fall and then word came in that a plane had crashed into the Pentagon. Then I almost fell apart. My father was working in Washington, DC at the time and my mom was working close to Quantico Marine base. I could not get my father on the phone at all but I did reach my mom, who was frantic. The fourth plane was still flying and the rumour was it was headed for the White House. At this point, I don't think my mom was able to get in touch with my dad either. Thankfully, my dad made it home later that day as did my mom. I still have the email my dad sent our family as it details what was going on and his thoughts and feelings. My prayers are with the families that lost someone that day and with the families that have lost someone fighting the war or are still over in Iraq fighting and helping that country. God bless them!!!

1 comments:

Mom of Esquared December 20, 2008 at 7:08 AM  

Stephanie, I was just reading through your older past and came across this one. I was working for Bank of America that day, we had to listen to it on the radio. I was terrified, Thankfully all of my family lived in the Valley with me at the time but once I got home I was talking to my dad and the section of the Pentagon that was hit was where his office was when he worked there. I also remember how quite the skies where for days after that. I don't pay attention to the skies but I remember realizing that there was no plane traffic not even our local rescue copter was flying, that was very unnerving. I remember the evening of 9/11 taking Elisabeth to church for the service there and seeing 1 lone F15 flying over head. Here in the Valley people where upset because the Presidential and congressional hideout is only about 50miles from us, people where nervous that we where going to be next on the list of places attacked.