Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year's Eve

It was a very quiet and peaceful New Year's eve here. Rich works at Karsten golf course at ASU as the controller. And guess what the end of the month means? Inventory!! Did not matter it was New Year's eve (and Halloween too) as I was whining at him to come home. Today he is working too as payroll goes out in 2 days. Guess I get to see him on Saturday:)
We were so bad about celebrating. We went to McDonald's for dinner (kids choice) and then came home and watched Drake and Josh on Nick Jr. I have to say I love that show even though it is aimed at the tweener crowd. It always makes me laugh and also is clean entertainment. The younger 4 were in bed by 8 pm and Brandon was the only one who made it to midnight. I only knew that because I got up for a potty break and there he was, still awake.
I think the biggest reason they were so tired is they did a fabulous service project for their Grandma and Grandpa Rhoton. Grandpa is 80 and Grandma is 74 so we help them out with house projects from time to time. They had asked my kids to paint the bottom half of their house. Of course being the great mom that I am (haha) I said of course they would be over to paint. You have never seen 5 kids have so much fun! I forgot my camera or I would have taken pictures as a slight paint war broke out (my kids? Never!!) I still for the life of me cannot figure out why they picked a bright blue to paint with, but oh well, it is not my house. You can see their house driving up their street from a half mile away!! The painting was finished and then we helped put everything away and back in it's place. Grandma Rhoton actually paid them for this chore. So after paying tithing, I took the kids to the Gamestop store (again their choice-I think they should have taken me out to dinner!) and they each picked and payed for a new video game.
Tomorrow we head back to their house to pick all the citrus from their trees. There is a hidden motive behind this. Grandma Rhoton fell out of the tree 10 years ago and broke her leg. Ever since then we have grounded her from climbing trees!! We figure if we volunteer to pick it she will stay out of the dang tree! They only live 10 miles from us so fortunately it is not a long drive. I love to climb the tree and pick the citrus and drop it to the ground. Depending on which kid is misbehaving, I have to admit I sometimes aim a little close to them:) The younger 2 have the job of picking up all the dropped fruit and putting it into buckets-they love this!
Next week we need to pick our citrus trees so the kids better gear up for another chance to climb the tree with our blessing. Hope everyone had a great New Year's Eve and a Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Mom of The Fields Fam Five January 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Happy New Year! I am glad that I am not the only one who fell asleep last night and missed the midnight madness! Sounds like you all are having some fun. The paint job sounds fab....I can see that bright house from here! Hee! Hee! Hope you are all safe while playing in those trees! Happy Picking!

Erin January 1, 2009 at 12:23 PM  

I've never seen Drake and Josh. They seem cute though. And giving paint brushes to kids? Brave.

McDonald's...mmm. Happy New Year!

Jen January 1, 2009 at 8:39 PM  

What a great way to ring in the new year...doing service! That's awesome! I like Drake and Josh, too, and watch it with my daughter! I hope you had a great new year's day.

mary January 2, 2009 at 7:05 AM  

I love watching Drake and Josh too with my kids.... sometimes I even find myself watching it without them! Yes, it's a funny show. :)

I love all the things you did with your family. I think you rang in the new year wonderfully!!!!!!!