Monday, November 24, 2008

Annual Holiday Sickness

Our family always gets sick around the holidays. It is always either Thanksgiving or Christmas. Thankfully, I guess, all but 2 of us have the flu. At least it is better to have everyone throwing up, have a fever and be cranky all at the same time!

It has been a blessing that the 2 little ones did not get it (hopefully I am not speaking too soon!!). The older ones know how to run to the bathroom but the little ones just have to throw up wherever and whenever the urge hits them. Sorry if you are getting sick just reading this.

Another blessing has been great friends that offered to bring us dinner. My initial response was to say "No, we are just fine." But I learned in Relief Society yesterday (one of the few times I have been able to attend over the last 5 years) that we need to be humble enough to accept help. Humility has never been my strong point so I believe Heavenly Father has been showing me lately through life's little trials what true humility is. I don't know if I will ever be able to attain it in this life, but I will remember the lessons learned over the past 6 months. When these trials are over, I want to remember how blessed I was to receive help from so many thoughtful people. It came in the form of emails, phone calls, dinners, other dear friends blogs and learning to instantly chat with dear friends back east on Facebook. See, there can be good in this information age of ours!!

Now we hope for all this sickness to pass and to move onto the fun part of this season. We have to get our lights up on Friday or we will be the losers on our block:)

3 comments:

Mom of Esquared November 25, 2008 at 3:16 AM  

Hope they get better soon, I hate the puke stuff. I have buckets that are marked especially for the mess, they are stored right under my kids bed easy enough for them to grab if needed and they can carry them with them if they need to. I also tell them to head to the outside not in the house. I would rather rinse the sidewalk off with the hose instead of cleaning the bathroom. BTW with a family your size do you buy bleach my the case load.

Mary November 25, 2008 at 8:03 AM  

That is such a bummer that you are all sick..... I hope it passes and that you are up and about real soon!

Erin November 27, 2008 at 6:40 AM  

I hope everyone is better now. Otherwise, it makes eating turkey a lot less fun :)