Saturday, October 4, 2008

Texting and Driving

I work as a triage hospice nurse and I have a great LPN who goes out and sees the patients. I am lucky enough to be able to do the majority of my work from home. Tonight was just a little bit different-2 patients decided to pass on to the other side within 10 minutes of each other. The funny part was (we hospice nurses find humor wherever we can get it!) that both patients lived in the town of Surpise (what a dumb name for a town-I mean really) AZ. We both live in Mesa so it was a 100 mile round trip for the both of us. We decided to make a game of it on the way there and have a race. So the 2 of us were texting, driving stick shifts, and racing:) Not a very smart idea as we were on major freeways the whole way, not to mention that texting and driving is illegal in Phoenix. But I do have to say we had great fun doing it!!! I call her Lightening McQueen as she always seems to get places very quickly-and yes, darn it all, I lost! We both decided when we arrived at our destinations that we should not play the game on the way home as we were lucky that neither of us got pulled over or got in a wreck. And for my sweet friend in Virginia, please do not tell your husband what we were doing:) I do not want to get a ticket in the mail!! And mom, do not have a heart attack over this:) She was lucky (or she will tell you unlucky) enough to ride with me when I was triaging and driving. My mom was not too impressed that I could drive with my knees and make a phone call at the same time. I guess the car is not the place to multitask!

5 comments:

mary October 5, 2008 at 6:56 PM  

I am going to scold you, dear friend! NO TEXTING AND DRIVING! OR RACING!!!!!! Sheesh.....my friends are like teenagers now?

rich and steph October 5, 2008 at 8:56 PM  

I know-it was bad and we were giggling the whole way!!! We are both almost 40-she has 6 kids-just had twins 3 months ago. So stupid but we needed a release from our day-not a good excuse!!

Renee Fowkes October 6, 2008 at 9:58 AM  

I agree with Mary - DUMB - DUMB - DUMB!! I want a 41 year old daughter to laugh and cry and enjoy!
Mom

Mom of Esquared December 20, 2008 at 9:33 AM  

Hey! Do you remember racing from Seminary to School in the mornings?

rich and steph December 20, 2008 at 8:54 PM  

Yes!! Sis Dixon used to call my mom and tell on Mike and myself all the time. Thankfully my mom would just say uh huh and thanks and never said a word to us. I don't think she knew how fast we were driving. And to think we will have driving kids soon-yikes!