Friday, April 10, 2009

Day of Contrasts

Boy, I have been slacking!!! Busy week last week and I volunteered (haha more like got strong armed into it) picking up extra days at work. Thank goodness I have 2 days of down time. I missed conference due to work and am so thankful for TiVo!!

Last Sunday was a day of contrasts for me. It first started with a patient who was having horrible chest pain and me driving like crazy to make it 55 miles quickly. Won't say how fast I got there but it was quick:) Sweet lady was made comfortable (and I lucked out as she was LDS and I put on conference as a distraction to help her thru the pain) and then sent to our inpatient unit. Hospices have inpatient units to send patients to instead of the hospital. She arrived safely, was made comfortable and was able to pass on and see her sweetie pie on the other side of the veil.

I then got the call I had been waiting eagerly for the past week. My baby brother, Gerald, and his wife Becky had their 3rd baby. Eleanor Renee Fowkes was born on conference Sunday. Sweet girl weighed in at 10 lbs 11 oz and 22 and 3/4 inches long. Way to go Becky!!! Each of her babies has gotten bigger at birth and I honestly do not know how she delivers such big babies. My biggest was 7 lbs 3 oz and that was big enough for me!! Eleanor has dark hair and looks alot like her big sister, Scout. I was also very touched as they named her middle name after my mother. I love the name and think it sounds very regal. They are going to call her Elli and I cannot wait for the day I can meet her. They live in Virginia and I live in AZ so it might be awhile.

My day continued with going to do continuous care for another sweet lady who had lung cancer with brain mets and was dying. Hospice offers continuous care for patients who want to stay at their own place but need round the clock care. Was not really ready for this emotionally or physically. I did the total care on her for 18 hours. That involved turning her, cleaning her, giving her medicine, consoling the family and trying to talk the group home into letting the daughter spend the night. Very exhausting work!! Much to my disbelief the group home would not let the daughter spend the night. Here her mother was passing on and all she asked for was to stay with her mom for these last precious moments. I got into a very big arguement with the group home owner (I kept my temper and was diplomatic) but nothing I said would budge her. I tried all the tricks and played on her emotions all to no avail. The daughter did go home but with the promise I would sit by her mom all night long, and I did. I sat in a hard back kitchen chair and took care of the patient. It has taken me 4 days to catch up on sleep but I was honored to be with her during her last hours on this earth. Was also glad that the daughter trusted me enough to stay with her mom with the promise I would call with any change. I did call the daughter to come back at 6 am as her mom was changing rapidly. She thankfully was able to be there with her mom holding her hand as her mom passed onto the other side.

So there was a birth and a death both in the same day. I realize this happens all the time but I am usually not having this happen to me! I am also glad for this week I have had to recouperate as well as reflect back on our beliefs of an eternal family and how thankful I am for our Saviour and Redeemer, Jesus Christ. Hope you all have a wonderful Easter!


E-squared's Mom April 11, 2009 at 12:43 AM  

Stephanie, you are a hero in my eyes... You also experienced the miracles that heavenly father sends everyday but most are to blind to see them... I wish you more miracles in your life hopefully the good ones. Love Ya Kasandra

Erin April 11, 2009 at 9:08 AM  

Wow, that was a day of contrasts! So interesting. I don't know if I could do your job.

Have a happy Easter!