Monday, February 2, 2009

We Need to Chart on Computers Why?!

What a crazy, frustrating day. Now I know why Mondays can just really stink. My hospice company decided to go "live" with computer charting today. That means all paperwork is now on some program called Consolo. It was said to us that this would make our lives easier, faster, blah, blah, blah. Yeah, right!! I had to admit a patient onto hospice services tonight. I can usually complete the whole assessment (which is a stack of paperwork) in about an hour. I am used to where my forms are, what are on them, and what is really necessary. Instead, it took me 3 hours to complete the admission!!! What the heck?!

Each medication had to be found by the slow laptop, downloaded and then the computer had to think if it liked my entry. Patient is only on 20 different medications so it was sloooow. Then the computer decided to save my notes when I was only half way done. So instead of 1 nursing assessment, there are 5 different ones. So when the next nurse logs in I guess they can choose which one looks best, considering some of them are only half way completed as the computer booted me off! To top it off, I was denied access to areas that I am supposed to have access to in order to complete all the paperwork. My boss got numerous phone calls from me and hopefully this will all get straightened out tomorrow.

To top it off, as I was driving out of the nursing home parking lot my car alarm started randomly going off as I was driving it!! Hello, can I really steal a moving minivan with my keys in the ignition and I am going 65 miles an hour? It was quite embarrassing to drive down the side streets, to the freeway and have my car lights flashing and the loudest noise ever coming out of my car. I tried stopping, turning it off, pressing different buttons all to no avail. When I got home, I had my hubby look at it and guess what?! That's right, now it is fine. I am just so thankful I did not get pulled over. I think that would have put me over the edge:)

Ok, now I feel better!

3 comments:

Mom of Esquared February 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

Give it time, I know what it's like to do something on computers that you used to do on paper it just takes time. a Year from now you will think Wow! how did I ever do this with out a computer.

Mom of The Fields Fam Five February 5, 2009 at 3:20 PM  

Okay, laugh or you might just start crying....well that is my method. Whenever a company changes to computer methods it is inevitable that things will go wrong. It just so happened to be you who got to experience it. One day I was driving home from picking up my kids from school and everytime I put my foot on the brake the horn would go off. I about died! Had to have it disconnected. It was so embarrassing!

rich and steph February 5, 2009 at 7:53 PM  

Oh Jill, that sounds just like me driving around with the car alarm going off:) Like I could steal it while driving it!