Sunday, November 15, 2009

Couple Missionaries

We had a wonderful talk today by a couple in our stake who just returned from a mission in San Juan. They had set a goal to go on a mission when their youngest boy went on his mission. Sister Bost spoke of health problems she had before going and how they felt insurmountable to her and she told her husband "forget it, I just cannot do it!" Her husband gave her a blessing and promised her that they would find treatments for her medical conditions so that they would be able to serve. And guess what? Treatments were found and they were able to fulfill a one year mission.

Sister Bost also made mention of the way the deacons sat in the 2 rows so reverently 10 minutes before church started (trust me, I taught this age group in primary before they turned 12 and I know how hard it is for them to be reverent!) We have a total of 15 deacons right now, so for all of them to be reverent and in their seats is amazing.

The young men and young women sang a beautiful song today. It brought great joy to my heart to see my son standing up there with all the youth (I think I counted 60 up there) and singing such a tender song. I remember being that age and growing up in Virginia. I think there was maybe 20 (give or take a few) of young men and women. We had a very tight knit group and it was such fun to become such good friends with them. Hopefully we were able to do missionary work in our area in Virginia by living the gospel, setting an example, and inviting nonmember friends to our "Mormon" parties. We even had some nonmember friends come to early morning seminary all 4 years - now that takes commitment from someone not knowing what our church is about or even just being there at 6 am! It just amazes me that my children can be surrounded by so many members. I do hope they realize what a blessing this is and to not take it for granted.

The talks this morning inspired me to start thinking about serving a mission when I am older. I was going to go on one when I was 21, but met my now husband and was married instead (even though that took 4 years - a whole other story). I am grateful for those who have served and for them setting the example for the rest of us.

0 comments: