Monday, September 28, 2009

Life is Precious

I had lots of time this week to think about life, how we live it and how we leave it. I was privileged enough to see a man in his last stages of life this weekend. (I know, some people get freaked out about talking about death or seeing death, but it is a natural part of the life cycle!) I had the honor to be there with him for awhile and just sit with him and hold his hand. I did not know him to well so I did not have much to talk with him about. Instead, I used the powerful sense of touch. People need to be touched at any phase in their life, but it seems they need more touch as infants and at the other end of the life cycle.

I have been able to do this for quite a few patients over the last 15 years. It still amazes me that just touching them, rubbing their feet, massaging their hands, caressing their heads, etc. It may seem strange to do this for people, but you would be amazed at how much anxiety and pain this relieves. I used to do this for my babies and still will do it for my kids if they are having nightmares, tough times, or just need an extra hug. I also have to say that I also like being on the receiving end of it! It was great to come home on Sunday and have my eldest son massage my shoulders for no reason. It nearly brought me to tears ( must be hormones!).

This sweet man did pass away with no one at his side ( I was unable to stay as I had other patients to visit and I am not sure where his family was). It made me sad to think that he had to make that journey all alone. I hope to be there for my parents when there time comes ( which better be years and years away!!!) as well as I hope my children (who will be grown by then) will be willing to be with me when my time comes.

Which leads me to say, take the time now to enjoy the precious things and simple things in life. Enjoy being with your family, kids, whomever may be in your life. Enjoy the outdoors (soon here for us AZ people where it is still 100 degrees).
Just enjoy being:)
And Yippee! General Conference is this weekend - another reason to just enjoy life!

2 comments:

Jana September 28, 2009 at 3:37 PM  

Wow!!! What a great post. I was able to visit with my grandpa this past April in Utah. I held his hand and touched his face and I swear he moved an inch so I can reach him better. I knew this was the last time I would see him alive and he knew. I know that by my touch he knew it was me. I agree we need to take time to enjoy the precious things in life,espeically our loved ones
Thanks for a great post and WOOHOO for General Conference

Erin October 6, 2009 at 12:54 PM  

Yes, this was a beautiful post. It reminded me of my grandma who died a few years ago, and of the kind older man who lives across the street.