Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Gardening Failure

Yes, I am sad to say my so called gardening attempt failed! With prices going up on all the produce we like to buy I thought "why not just plant our own?" I planted chocolate peppers (it produced one and was sooo yummy), banana peppers and tomatoes. I fertilized, I watered, I made sure they had sun. We were so excited as we thought we would have homemade salsa all summer long. Sigh, it did not happen. I would take a picture of the plants now but it is just too sad! They are shriveled up and very brown. I don't know if I planted too late in the season and it was too much sun (June was great here but July has had record breaking temps - 114, etc).
My in laws have a garden and their garden has overproduced. We luckily have been fortunate enough to pick from theirs (yellow squash cooked in olive oil - yummy!) Little tired of the zucchini but I should not complain as it is free.
I am going to have to do some research on how to garden better. I have friends that do box gardening and it seems to work well. I have a perfect spot picked out for the next time I try. It is right next to our citrus trees (which thankfully I have not killed off!) We just have to clear out lots of rocks and make the soil better. However, I think that is going to wait until we are not having record breaking temps and we can actually clear it out without everyone passing out in the process!!! Hmm, that would make for an interesting story - LOL:) Another side note, the amazing tomato planters that hang and your tomatoes grow upside down - did not work!!! I believe those will either be headed for the trash or donated (probably cannot find anyone who would want them). Wish me luck for a better garden in the fall - the beauty of Arizona is that we have a growing season in the fall and winter here:)

2 comments:

Mom of Esquared July 23, 2009 at 2:21 AM  

our garden did great until the Dear showed up and ate everything and I mean everything. Next year I hope we do something about that. but I thought it was great that the church let us plow the field behind it and have gardens. We also have some Tom's planted at home and they are full but not ripe yet, it will probably happen while we are gone.

Don't give up on gardening just research and talk to neighbors about what they did, then next time try again.

LISA :) July 23, 2009 at 8:28 PM  

I have always wanted to try to do a garden! But then I remember I can't even keep up with mu tiny yard as it is! cant wait to hear how try #2 goes!