Monday, December 21, 2009

Secret Santa

We woke up last Tuesday with a Chistmas card on out front door. I love receiving Christmas cards and seeing what my friends and family are up.
I opened the card just expecting to see Christmas greetings (which would have been great!) Instead someone put $200 dollars in the card and an $100 dollar gift certificate to Toys R Us. In some ways I feel guilty as I know there are so many people that are more deserving and in need of it. I have been the recipient of Christmas presents being delivered to our house 5 years ago, when Rich lost his job 2 weeks before Christmas and I was 8 months pregnant with my last child. I felt the same way then, that someone else must be needier and could benefit from it. I cried both times that someone had thought of our family and showed great love for us.
My family did a secret santa for a friend a few years ago. Her husband was out of work and she was frantically searching for a job. It was the best feeling in the world to be the giver of the Christmas gifts!
For now, I will just take this kindness and blessing and be thankful. I have already made a goal that next year I will do the same for someone else. I am a big believer that it is better to give than to receive!!
On a side note, our sunday school teacher made an awesome point about gift giving. He said often times our families just need our time and that is the greatest gift of all. I am going to try to keep this in my life this next year. The housework can wait just a little bit longer so I can give the gift of time.
Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

LISA :) December 21, 2009 at 1:52 PM  

Growing up we had VERY little and were blessed by many of santa elfs. Every year I try to do something even if its just a plate of goodies. I agree the giving is so much more rewarding I think. That is so wonderful to know people are watching out for you.

rich and steph December 22, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

Thank you Lisa:) Now to figure out how ads are being underlined on my blog and underlining words?!